Hi there!
Today I would like to talk about the use of comics as a resource in Primary Education.
As you know, the use of images in education make the lessons more engaging, providing a better comprehension of the topic. Well, in this case, the use of comics not only provides the things mentioned, it also can be used as a mean of expressing feelings and emotions due to the fact that students can create comics by themselves. They can create their own stories, something very motivational for children. Related to the creation of comics by a teacher, I recommend you, for example, create one at the beginning of a Unit, in order to introduce children in that topic, but adding some things related with the everyday life.
¿How can I or my students create a comic? Easy peasy! I recommend you these web pages and applications, which I have discovered thanks to my master's degree:
Now, I am going to tell you about my experience in the creation of a comic. In my case, I have choosen Pitxton, because of the simple use of it. Once you have registered, they give you a mini tutorial about how are the basics point in the creation of a comic and, from my point of view, that tutorial is a fantastic idea because you can make your first strip at the same time you are learning how to manage with the tool.
First of all, they show you how to add a character and how to move the character in the strip (for example, sitting, running, cathing a thing...), Then, you add a background, I must say there are a lot of backgrounds, from general locations to specific places. After that, you learn how to add texts and props in yout creation. Finally, once you finish with the tutorial, you will have created your first strip!!
However, I must tell one thing about this tool, which is the limited strips. If you do not have a premium user, you can not do more than 10 strips. Anyway, I think students can make a great comic with 10 strips. Another think I would like to say is that it is a little complicated to be used by students from 1st to 3rd grades, because of the great precision and the lot of options of the tool. I think the perfect age for its use is 10 to 12 years old.
Now that you know more about the use of comics in education and Pixton, I will show you my creation, where I focused in the topic of parents-divorced, something that can change feelings and emotions of children. So the purpose of this story is that children can understand that if their parents are divorced, it does not mean that the relation with them is going to change, although they do not live together. I hope you like it and I look forward to your creations!
Catch you later!
Comments
Post a Comment